Monday 6 August 2018

I really don’t deserve it

An atheist said, "If there is a God, may he prove himself by striking me dead right now." Nothing happened. "You see, there is not God." Another responded, "You've only proved that He is a gracious God."

Luke 5:8 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!”

Now Peter did not see this coming, After hearing God, and then obeying him, He was blessed with a catch of fish. This catch was so big that he could bless other fishermen as well. But Peter’s reaction to the blessing gives a very graceful understanding of our Christian life. He cries out to Jesus saying, I am a sinful man, I don’t deserve this. Notice even when he says go away from me Lord, Peter is holding on to the knees of Jesus.

Perhaps Peter could have boasted saying that I gave my boat to Jesus as a podium, and this catch is just a returning favor. For sure he was moved so much of his unworthiness, that he realized the love of God at that very moment. Thus, the understanding of God’s grace is to simply accept that I don’t deserve it, whether you are a fisherman or a Teacher of the Law. Praise be to God that he leads us from strength to strength and from glory to glory, But I really don’t deserve it.    


Stanley Thomas Isac
Stanley is serving as the Pastor of Crossway Church in New Delhi, he can be reached at stanleytisac@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment