Tuesday 20 February 2018

You wanna try it out ?

General Douglas MacArthur in Reminiscences recalls a strategy he carried out while at West Point.

The first section was studying the time-space relationship later formulated by Einstein as his Theory of Relativity. The text was complex and, being unable to comprehend it, I committed the pages to memory. When I was called upon to recite, I solemnly reeled off almost word for word what the book said. Our instructor, Colonel Fiebiger, looked at me somewhat quizzically and asked, "Do you understand this theory?"  

It was a bad moment for me, but I did not hesitate in replying, "No, sir." You could have heard a pin drop. I braced myself and waited.
And then the slow words of the professor: "Neither do I, Mr. MacArthur. Section dismissed."

John-13:6,7 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”

Most of the leaders in the world will follow strategies that others have used and have been successful. They seem to get the rationale and put it on every disciple under them. Perhaps in the fast- paced world of cut throat competition, we too are tempted to take short-cuts and give a cut or two here and there. Everyone wants that, and takes that route, then why should I stay behind.

Jesus the teacher was from a different school and wants his disciples to have that same effect on their life and ministry. He knew exactly what he was doing. The intensity was only rising in the New Testament. We are called to make a change, but not by becoming and behaving like the world, but by being more like Jesus. Several things which Jesus teaches doesn’t make much sense, cos we don’t understand several things of the kingdom. A teacher, washing his disciples feet looks ridiculous to this world. But for Jesus that’s how the Kingdom of God works. You wanna try it out.

Stanley Thomas Isac
Stanley is serving as the Pastor of Crossway Church in New Delhi, he can be reached at Pastorstanleytisac@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment