Friday 2 October 2015

Christ is the ONLY Standard

When my son was in kindergarten, he came to me one day and said, “Dad, I’m eight feet tall.” I looked at him and said, “You can’t be; you’re not eight feet tall.” He insisted, “Yes I am, dad. I’m eight feet tall. The ruler says I’m eight feet tall.” I smiled and asked him to show me the ruler. It was a six inch ruler. Needless to say, I tried to explain, and teach him linear measurement, but didn’t get too far with it, because a couple of days later, he repeated the same to his cousins.
It’s funny that this is the exact problem with humans. We get a little bit of information, and act like we have complete understanding of everything. My son somehow, convinced himself of being eight feet tall, using a six inch ruler. Using wrong standards, often lead us to wrong conclusions. King Solomon warns that, “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death (Proverbs 14:12).” But the “Wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way (Proverbs 14:8a).” When it comes to sin, same is the case. Our attitude is such that we have no sin, and we end up deceiving ourselves (1 John 1:8). However Paul plainly declares, “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God…. (Romans 3:23).” The only standard that works is the standard that God set for us, in Christ.

Stephen Thomas (Bobby)
Stephen is an ordained Christian Minister and a Bible teacher who is a mentor to several youth leaders in Crossway Church and around the globe. He is a regular visiting Speaker in Crossway Church, New Delhi. He can be reached at stephenthomas6400@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment