Thursday 23 April 2015

Keep your eyes on that which is constant.

             Last year me and a couple of friends went to Mussoorie, Uttarakhand for a vacation. Since there were inadequate public transports we had to use whatever was available. And one such transport we were using in those winding roads was a tempo. Since I was a child I suffered from motion sickness and winding roads were always a major problem as I would feel nauseated. During one such travel my body was just giving up inside the tempo. And the only thing that I had learnt over the years to avoid nausea is to keep my eyes on something constant. I could not see the road ahead as the tempo was closed from all sides. So I basically had to ask the driver to stop and he suggested that I sit on top of the tempo where I would have the view of the road. Well I simply had to accept his offer and in a short while I was feeling much better as I kept my eyes fixed on something that was constant.

Today we are constantly burdened with the worries of this world and our emotions run high and low all the time which distorts our direction of life. And i’m not denying the reality of these circumstances. But I just want to encourage you to look beyond your varying emotions and thoughts to someone whose emotions, plans and thoughts for you is always constant. His mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:23). His grace is sufficient for us (2 Corinthians 12:9). His eternal love draws us near (Jeremiah 31:3). His faithfulness reaches to the skies (Psalms 36:5). Do not be burdened if you are doing enough to please God but be rest assured in what He has done for you. Let your faith be on Him than your faith itself.

I’m reminded of David while he wrote Psalms 51. He says “Lord have mercy upon me according to your faithfulness”. He wrote this after being confronted for adultery by prophet Nathan. After being convicted of his sin, he writes Psalms 51 as an act of repentance. Look at the focus of his whole Psalm. He pleads to God for mercy according to His faithfulness. Not according to David’s love, faithfulness or merit. Can we like David come to Him fixing our eyes on Him? Repentance is not just about accepting that you are a sinner and deciding not to sin. I wish that was the case as it would have worked for many. Repentance is turning your eyes away from sin and looking at Jesus. To be more Christ conscious. Keep your eyes on that which is constant.

Samuel Thomas (Sam)
Sam is a Christian minister who is serving the Lord in various capacities. He is working through Cross Impact and also involved with Crossway Church. He can be reached on samvthom16@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment